Friday, December 3, 2010

My e-mail to Wedding Diary - Alexandra Sharnock

From: Alexandra Sharnock 
Sent: 30 November 2010 11:58 AMTo: info@aleit.co.za; Wedding DiarySubject: WEDDING DIARY BRIDE OF THE YEAR


Dear Carl and Aleit,


Whilst the Bride of the Year event was great fun, and the girls who were finalists were an amazing, dynamic bunch, there is one aspect which has left a bitter taste in my mouth and resulted in huge disappointment, and disgust at the manner in which the competition was handled.


When entering and participating in an event of this nature, one assumes they enter “on a level playing field”. However, this appeared not to be the case.Minutes before the winner was announced, I was told by one of the finalists, who shall remain nameless, that Chanel Ferreira actually worked with Aleit. I couldn’t believe that it could be true as surely that would be grounds for disqualification as it indicates bias, and a gross conflict of interest. However, upon perusing the Aleit website the following Monday morning, it is clearly stipulated that Chanel is indeed employed by Aleit as a Senior Co-ordinator, and is even described as “Aleit’s right-hand lady”!!!


It is my submission that under no circumstances should Chanel have been allowed to enter, as even if she were to win on merit, the validity and “fairness” thereof would certainly be questioned by the other contestants. Whilst I believe that Chanel is great woman, the question must be asked – Did she win on merit, or because of her association with Aleit?


The end result has left several of the contestants and myself feeling that the entire process was rigged, and was nothing more than a publicity stunt for Aleit, Wedding Diary, Jagardi and Pasella amongst others. Further, such publicity stunt was held at the vast expense of the finalists. Indeed, my Husband and I travelled up from Johannesburg on Thursday – As we were told by Carl that we had to be there on Thursday evening for the rehearsal – and were required to stay Friday night as well. As such we expended R3050 in respect of plane tickets, and R2880 in respect of Accommodation Costs. The aforesaid sum of R5930.00 does not even take into account the cost of car hire, purchase of tickets to the show or incidental costs occasioned by the event such as dry cleaning our dresses. I anticipate that my husband and I have spent in excess of R8000.00 in respect of taking part in a competition which was essentially biased, and “rigged”. In addition, it should be noted that I am a Director at a large Law Firm in Johannesburg, and my attendance at the competition necessitated taking 2 days leave – Entirely unnecessary and a complete waste given how the competition turned out.


I note that one of the reasons we decided to fly to Cape Town for the event was due to the fact that reputable entities such as Top Billing, Aleit and Pick n Pay had attached their names to it, and thus seemingly lent credibility to the event. However, this appears not to be the case. I cannot imagine that Top Billing and P n P would knowingly endorse an obviously biased event. As an aside, I further note it is for the above reason that competitions usually contain a rule to the effect that Anyone working for such entity or for the specified competition partner, or for any of such entities affiliated companies, as well as any family members or associates of the aforesaid persons are prohibited from entering a competition…for obvious reasons
Whilst I do not expect anything to be achieved by this, I wish to express my extreme disappointment in respect of the above. Unfortunately I am left feeling taken advantage of, foolish, and certainly poorer in pocket.

Regards,
Alexandra Sharnock




Response from Aleit:


From: Aleit - The Aleit Group [mailto:aleit@aleit.co.za]
Sent: 30 November 2010 12:15 PM
To: Alexandra Sharnock
Cc: 'Carl Wallace'
Subject: RE: WEDDING DIARY BRIDE OF THE YEAR


Dear Alexandra

I hope this finds you well.  Thank you for your email.  I am extremely saddened by your email, especially because of the fact that you were one of my favourites.  You can ask any of the organisation team. 

The winner of WEDDING BRIDE OF THE YEAR, was chosen with a completely independent panel of judges.  I personally know quite a few of the contestants, and that also why I did not get involved on a non coordination and event execution basis.  I will get Carl Wallace, the Managing Director, to be in touch re the terms and conditions of the event, that was clearly stipulated.

Please note that this competition is not owned by The Aleit Group.  We are merely a sponsor, as in the case of Pick and Pay, and other companies that you have mentioned – and we have adhered to the rules set out by WEDDING DIARY, that owns and execute this competition on a yearly basis.   

I agree that it would be unethical for employees of Wedding Diary to enter.  That would have indeed been unethical.  No one from Wedding Diary entered the competition.    

I did not see the need, as you did, to copy so many individuals, as they were all independent and sponsors. 

Carl Wallace, Managing Director from Wedding Diary, will handle your complaint further. 

Regards

Aleit SwanepoelManaging Director - The Aleit Group
Tel: +27 21 887 4448 / Fax: 
+ 27 86 638 4919
Mobile: +27 82 883 7056
info@aleit.co.za
www.aleit.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment