Friday, December 3, 2010

My e-mail to Wedding Diary - Mona Pillay

From: "Mona Pillay"
To: <info@weddingdiary.co.za>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:59:29 +0200
Subject: WEDDING DIARY BRIDE OF THE YEAR


To Carl Wallace,

I would like to express my views regarding the bridal competition. It was brought to my attention and the other finalists that the winner of the competition ‘Chanel Ferreira’ is in fact an employee of the Aleit group. This came as a shock because this is the first competition to my knowledge which has allowed an employee of a major sponsor to participate in the competition. It was felt that she had an unfair advantage against the rest of the finalists and it looked like a publicity stunt to promote the Aleit group, especially since in theJuly, August and October issue of the online Wedding Diary magazine, it clearly states respectively that " the Aleit Group is a partner of Wedding Diary", " The Aleit Group in collaboration with Wedding Diary and Top Billing is creating the most spectacular bridal competition ever" and "In our national bridal competition in association with The Aleit Group and Top Billing". So why would Wedding Diary make so much reference to The Aleit Group if they are just a sponsor (like Pick n Pay)? 

In addition, the other finalists and I had thought that we were all at the same entry level but was unaware that an employee of Aleit Group was in fact one of the finalists. I’m sure that employees from other sponsors i.e. Pick n Pay or Top Billing had not entered the competition.

It is very disappointing to know that ‘Wedding Diary’ had allowed such a situation to occur. Please note that I am not the only finalist with these concerns as other finalists have also expressed similar views to me. Another concern is that the selection process was not transparent and that no explanation was given to the finalists about this process and if the following was taken into account: smses votes, ticket sales, best gown, best answers to questions, etc.

Please note that this was a costly trip (flights and accommodation) as I am from Durban and taking leave from work was an inconvenience for my husband and I, and for this to occur is disappointing as I felt that the competition was biased. I will not recommend this competition to any of my family members, friends and colleagues.

Regards,
Mona Pillay

No comments:

Post a Comment